- This event has passed.
Negotiation Skills Training Online – 4 day course
Many Indigenous communities and organizations are in negotiations, or are preparing to negotiate, on important issues such as land claims, litigation, self-governance, fiscal arrangements, natural resources, co-management agreements, consultation and business partnerships. You will learn basic foundations in the negotiation process by exploring proven interest-based negotiation terminology and techniques. In addition to improving your understanding of negotiations, this program will also provide additional tools to enhance governance of your organization.
Please note, this introductory program does not count as credit towards the Certificate of Indigenous Leadership, Governance, and Management Excellence.
What does the program offer?
– Community and organizational interest and position clarification to determine goals for negotiation outcomes
– Understand concepts, terminology and objectives of interest based negotiations
– A community and individual based approach to planning, participation and support in the negotiation process
– How to prepare thoroughly for negotiations
– Best practices for wise decision-making
– Understand the differences between interests and positions
– Get expert advice on how to build strengths as a powerful negotiator
– Improve communication skills with proven techniques to increase clarity and improve outcomes
– Negotiate with a purpose
– Learn interactive problem solving and planning exercises
Who should register?
– Indigenous leaders and managers mandated to negotiate on behalf of their communities and organizations;
– Government negotiators and policy advisors who want to enhance their understanding of Indigenous negotiations environment and context;
– Private sector parties in negotiation with Indigenous entities and the Crown or municipalities;
– Lawyers, consultants, and advisors to Indigenous communities and governments;
– Indigenous leaders and managers involved in negotiations with funding agencies or other Indigenous organizations;
– Administrative and support staff responsible for preparing and supporting negotiations;
– Institutional and municipal staff;
Please note: this program prioritizes Indigenous learners, and those working with Indigenous communities and organizations. Note that in the event of high demand for the program, priority may be given to these learners.
Program Dates: June 1 – 4, 2021
Registration Deadline: May 25, 2021
Register online: https://bit.ly/31UFO99