Indigenous Leadership | Negotiation Skills Training Online (2-day)
Many Indigenous communities and organizations are in negotiations, or are preparing to negotiate, on important issues such as land claims, self-governance, fiscal arrangements, natural resources, co-management agreements, and business partnerships. You will learn and practice each step in the negotiation process by using proven interest-based negotiation techniques.
What does the program offer?
– Community and organizational interest and position clarification to determine your goals for the negotiation outcomes
– A community and individual based approach to planning participation and support in the negotiation process
– How to prepare thoroughly for your negotiations
– Best practices for wise decision-making
– Build your negotiating skills by participating in simulations, role-play, and improvisation
– Understand the differences between interests and positions
– Get expert advice on how to build strengths as a powerful negotiator
– Examine the duty to consult, the Crown as negotiator, and multi-party negotiations
– Improve communication skills with proven techniques to increase clarity and improve outcomes
– Negotiate with a purpose
Who should register?
– Indigenous leaders and managers mandated to negotiate on behalf of their communities and organizations
– Government negotiators and policy advisors who want to understand the Aboriginal negotiations environment and context
– Private sector parties in negotiation with First Nations and the Crown
– Lawyers, consultants, and advisors to First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and government
– Indigenous leaders and managers involved in negotiations with funding agencies
– Staff responsible for preparing and supporting negotiations
– Institutional and municipal staff
*Please note, our programs are filled on a first come, first served basis. Please register early to secure a confirmation of your spot.
Financial Assistance may be available to subsidize some of the costs to attend your program. Applicants have to select “Yes” to the apply funding in registration, then fill out our funding form through Student Portal.
Program Dates: January 19 – 20, 2021
Registration Deadline: December 8, 2020
Visit our website to learn more and register online: https://bit.ly/3322GV9
Additional program dates:
– February 16 -17, 2021 (deadline: January 13, 2021)
– March 15 – 16, 2021 (deadline: February 2, 2021)