- This event has passed.
2 Rivers Remix Announces Lineup of 24 Artists for Indigenous Music Festival – July 6/7, 2019
For Immediate Release:
2 Rivers Remix Announces Lineup of 24 Artists for Indigenous Music
Festival – July 6/7, 2019
4 JUNO winners lead the 24 Indigenous musical artists performing at ’Q’EMCIN 2 RIVERS REMIX 2019, FREE Feast of Contemporary Indigenous Music and Culture in Lytton, BC
May 3, ’Q’emcín (aka Lytton BC): On Nlaka’pamux Unceded Territory at the fork of the Fraser and Thomson Rivers, ‘Q’emcín 2 Rivers Remix (2RMX) Contemporary Indigenous Music Feast will celebrate its second year on Saturday July 6 and Sunday July 7. Today Artistic Director Meeka Morgan (Secwepemc/Nuu-Chah-Nulth/Nlaka’pamux) announced the full list of 24 original Indigenous artists for this year’s FREE 2-day, all ages, outdoor festival!
Meeka added that the Wild Salmon Caravan will be collaborating with the Nlaka’pamux Nation to open the festival with a Wild Salmon celebration and parade exploring wild salmon traditional knowledge and creative energy of transformation.
The cultural feast will be hosted again by Ostwelve, who will share his incredible knowledge and energy all weekend. The festival is headlined by 4 Indigenous JUNO winners: DJ Shub (Mohawk, formerly of “A Tribe Called Red”), Quantum Tangle (Inuit/Anishinaabe/Métis), George Leach (St’atimc) and Murray Porter (Mohawk).
The feast of Contemporary Indigenous music will showcase a stunning variety of over 24 Indigenous artists, “from hip hop to folk, metal to blues, funk to electronic, rock to reggae – and more than half the lead performers are women, while one-third are youth,” according to Meeka. The festival also features spoken word, dance, video screenings, interactive workshops with festival artists, and a large-scale outdoor Indigenous art exhibition.
On Sunday, July 7, a highlight is the 2RMX Elder Series celebrating Indigenous musicians who have had extensive careers, and are still performing to this day. JUNO winning artist, Murray Porter, a Mohawk blues piano man, brings his Band to the festival…including fellow musician, bass player, Helene Duguay, who played with ‘Les Beatlettes’ in the ‘60s. Also featured – from the Grammy-nominated compilation “Native North America Volume 1” – Willie Thrasher & Linda Saddleback, and Gordon Dick Sr.
You don’t want to miss this superb Indigenous musical soundscape that compliments the beauty of the land surrounding the festival. Did we mention this is ALL FREE?
The talent-packed musical lineup also includes:
• Old Soul Rebel – Fabulous soulful female duo who were featured on CTV’s ‘The Launch’
• Spiritual Warriors – Father and daughter duo singing in their Lil’wat language with a reggae beat
• JB the First Lady – Hip-hop and spoken word artist who’s also an advocate for MMIWG, her song “Still Here” was listed on CBC Radio as one of the “greatest Vancouver songs of all time”
• Melawmen Collective – Melawmen in Secwepemc language means ‘medicine’, their hip-hop fusion is ‘gathering’ medicine to heal share
• Big Willie G1 – This 18 year-old’s musical soul is deeply rooted in blues, rock & country folk
• Curtis Clearsky & the Constellationz –INDIGIFUNK Band at it’s finest with fusions of hip-hop, latin-funk, soul, ska, reggae and blues
• DJ Oshow – Popular Vancouver DJ who’s also an inspirational Two-Spirit speaker for youth
A 2RMX youtube playlist of the artists is at http://playlist.2rmx.ca and visit our website for more info about the artists at http://2RiversRemix.ca.
What: ’Q’emcin 2 Rivers Remix, Free 2-day Contemporary Indigenous Music Feast
When: Saturday July 6 to Sunday July 7, 2019 1pm–11pm daily
Who: 20 Contemporary Indigenous Musical Artists performing a wide variety of genres
Where: ’Q’emcín/Lytton BC is located on Nlaka’pamux unceded territory at the confluence of
the “Fraser” and “Thomson” rivers, 10km from Stein Valley Nlaka’pamux Heritage Park
How: 3 hours by car from Vancouver or 2 hours from Kamloops on Highway 1
Meeka Morgan, Artistic Director – 604-319-6355
Elaine Bomberry, Publicist – 778-879-4161
2 Rivers Remix • Box 125, Lytton BC V0K1Z0 • 1-844-634-0277 (toll-free)
Web: https://2RiversRemix.ca • Email: 2RiversRemix@gmail.com • Facebook: http://event.2rmx.ca • YouTube: http://playlist.2rmx.ca
‘Q’emcin 2 Rivers Remix – FULL LIST OF Indigenous MUSICAL Artists
HOST • OSTWELVE [Sto:lo/St’atimc/Nlaka’pamux]
• DJ SHUB [Mohawk] • QUANTUM TANGLE [Inuit/Anishinaabe/Métis] • GEORGE LEACH [St’atimc] • OLD SOUL REBEL [Cree/Kainai/Ojibwe] • MELAWMEN COLLECTIVE [Secwepemc/Nuu-Chah-Nulth/Cree/St’atimc/Nlaka’pamux]
2RMX ELDERS SERIES
• MURRAY PORTER [Mohawk] • WILLIE THRASHER & LINDA SADDLEBACK [Inuvialuit/Métis] • HELEN DUGUAY [Mi’kmaq] • GORDON DICK [St’atimc] • RITCHIE & THE FENDERMEN [Nlaka’pamux]
• THE SPIRITUAL WARRIORS [St’atimc] • TA’KAIYA BLANEY [Tla’Amin] • LAURA GRIZZLYPAWS [St’atimc] • ECKO ALECK [Nlaka’pamux]
• CURTIS CLEARSKY & THE CONSTELLATIONZ [Blackfoot/Anishinabe/Maori/Guarani] • BIG WILLIE G1 [‘Namgis/Nlaka’pamux] • TRIBAL X [Cree/Musqueam] • JUST/HUJUNE [Secwepemc/Dakelh]
• JB THE FIRST LADY [Nuxalk/Onondaga] • BRANDON PETERS [St’atimc] • KIVA MORGAN-HALL/LEVI-D [Secwepemc/Nlaka’pamux/Cree] • DJ OSHOW [Skwxwu7mesh]
2 Rivers Remix gratefully acknowledges the support of our major funders: First Peoples Cultural Council, Creative BC and the Province of British Columbia, BC Arts Council, Heritage Canada, New Pathways to Gold Society, The Georgia Straigh, Northern Development Initiative Trust, Citxw Nlaka’pamux Assembly, Lytton First Nation, the Village of Lytton, Kumsheen Rafting Resort, Lyttonnet.